Sunday, January 8, 2017

A Mother Reflects on Cannabis Therapy for her Autistic Son


In the excerpt below, a mother of a son with autism describes her success in treating her son's violent outbursts with marijuana, which has allowed him to gain the self control necessary for social learning.

I remember when my son with a diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome used to have violent outbursts. It was terrible. There was no treatment beyond the risperdal proposed by doctors who knew nothing about autism and nothing about that particular drug, which has the demonstrated capacity to turn kids into corpulent zombies. See my posts linked below about the ugly politics of risperdal.

I rejected risperdal and other proposed anti-psychotics for my son and we coped with the outbursts until they disappeared but with plenty of scars that might have been avoided if there had been a safer treatment method.

All drugs have potential risks but marijuana's risks are trivial in comparison to the risks posed by risperdal and other powerful anti-psychotics and anti-anxiety drugs that are routinely given to children on the autism spectrum, as noted in this article:
(I made my son cannabis cookies. They changed his life. The Washington Post, https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/i-made-my-son-cannabis-cookies-they-changed-his-life/2017/01/06/699b1d20-d1ef-11e6-a783-cd3fa950f2fd_story.html?utm_term=.7231b8598d63&wpisrc=nl_headlines&wpmm=1

Indeed, cannabis is one of the few substances on earth that can’t kill you. It was classified as a Schedule 1 drug under the 1970 Controlled Substances Act, suggesting the potential for abuse, a concern about safety and the absence of an accepted medical use. But subsequent research has shown that cannabis is not physically addictive, as many illicit drugs are, and that it could make life better for people with a range of ailments, such as Tourette’s, irritable bowel syndrome, anxiety, glaucoma, spasticity, Huntington’s disease, chronic pain and intractable epilepsy. And the safety concerns have turned out to be unfounded. “Nearly all medicines have toxic, potentially lethal effects,” a Drug Enforcement Administration administrative judge wrote in 1988. “But marijuana is not such a substance. There is no record in the extensive medical literature describing a proven, documented cannabis-induced fatality.” So even parents who might not have my penchant for methodical experimentation would have little to fear in using it to treat children like mine.

I believe marijuana's benefits and risks need to be more fully explored but in the meantime doctors and policy makers should acknowledge that decades of research have established fewer risks than those posed by commonly prescribed psychiatric drugs and recreational substances, such as alcohol.

I strongly believe that marijuana legalization will have much greater benefits than liabilities, including the health benefits that accrue to individuals who substitute marijuana for more dangerous drugs, including alcohol.

Most importantly, marijuana legalization and de-stigmatization promises to help many people who suffer neurological disorders, ranging from autism to migraines, with fewer adverse side effects.

RELATED POSTS
 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the story about Cannabis Therapy. Some Pharmaceutical company like Vitality Bio suggests that cannabis is a valuable aid in the treatment of a wide range of clinical applications. These include pain relief, particularly neuropathic pain — nausea, spasticity, glaucoma, and movement disorders. Marijuana is also a powerful appetite stimulant, specifically for patients suffering from HIV, the AIDS wasting syndrome, or dementia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very upset majia. My neurologist has been using CBD oil to help treat my epilepsy. I do not have to take so much tegretol with the CBD oi. I can function better. Believe it or not I was getting pretty high quality CBD oil off Walmart.com. Now I cannot get it. CBD oil does not get you high. I might have to move to get it. I have been on the gamut of drugs for epilepsy and migraines. Dilantin phenobarbital klonopin u name it. Even the most mainstream neurologists agree CBD oil is one of the safest complementary drugs for the type of epilepsy I have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very important information for those who are looking for a very concentrated quality and valued CBD Oil for any serious ailments, I have used it on my son with seizure and it worked wonders. I finally feels his illness is under control and permanently cure using CBD Oil. It is available in both Wholesale and Retails. Do contact Dr. Joseph for more information: drjosephbryan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son recently started having grand Mal seizures at 16 years old. We were prescribed Kepler. We decided NOT to take the medicine and go with a Modified Atkins Diet that entails feeding our son 15 carbs a day with lots of healthy fat. He eats a lot of grass fed beef, free range eggs, organic low crab veggies and is doing fantastic! We could tell a difference in him by the 3rd day. This is not alternative or junk science. Dr. Lewis hill at Johns Hopkins has been championing this diet for years and has been really successful. Doctors are really resistant to this therapy but it works!. Read "Grain Brain" for why it works. He also takes taurine which helped stop the night time teeth grinding, jerking, and unrest in his sleep (also known to stop seizures). And he takes cur cumin as a brain protestant that raises seizures.one day came across Albert post thanking Dr Lewis hill for curing his son seizure problem, and i got the contact of Dr Lewis hill i quickly contacted him then he made me to know that the medication is 100% permanent cure, and that was how i got the medicine which i used for my son, after which i took my son for medical test It worked! Over a year now, my son have not show any symptoms of seizure and I believe my son is cure if you need his help email him on drlewishill247@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. HERBAL MEDICINE: OUR BREAKTHROUGH
    My son was diagnosed with epilepsy in his early age (4years), there was no known cause or reason, many investigations have since taken place to achieve a diagnosis, It came from nowhere. I cannot describe to you how helpless we feel as parents, our happy life was turned upside down. We felt shocked, devastated and utterly helpless. All we could do was to hold and comfort him. His seizures contributed to his lack of developmental progress. If he was in the midst of doing something he would fall over or just curl up into a ball. I also have a Youtube video. It is a very difficult symptoms, despite continued medical intervention we are unsuccessful in stopping her seizures. We have tried multiple medicines, including CBD and a special diet, but all to no avail. Dr. Allen!!!, your input bring about his recovery. I will forever be indebted to you. I was delighted to share this information to Epilepsy Research UK, and I would urge anyone who also have same symptoms to try such a worthy path because this is the only way to improve the lives of those diagnosed with epilepsy. To get more information, write drallenchase@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete